Thursday, July 17, 2008


Today we went to this park on the way back from Albert Cuyp Market ( where by the way I nearly made myself bankrupt! AJ will definitely kill me when he sees his bank balance! ). This was probably a small neighbourhood park with swings and slides, there was also this small lake there with lots of ducks and one stork. Me and Abir went and sat very close to the ducks next to the lake. These ducks just kept on feeding on the grass almost ignoring our presence. They almost were not scared of us. Not almost, they were not. This city, and maybe this country and the government must be like this. Letting everyone be. Not afraid of anyone, so not reacting to anyone. I have rarely seen a brawl here, noone raises their voice. The only time I did see someone furious was at the Central Station where there are too many foreigners and difficult to figure who is a native and who is not.

My brother told me that once in his office a colleague of his, a Dutch native, took 2 -3 days off and everyone was wondering what was up with him. Maybe someone wrong with a family member, maybe some other trouble at home. The day he got back to work, he said, you know - I had the worst time of my life, I am really in a fix! When asked what had happened, he said, you know my Dad's cat, she fell sick and I have been running to the Vet everyday coz of that! Oh well... people probably really have no issues here. And seriously, if you look around, you'd realise that there is very little reason to! Its all so calm and beatiful and serene. Almost feels like a fairytale land. I have no experience of any other foreign country or city, but maybe that truely makes my view uncoloured. I would come back here to Amsterdam anyday! Dutch immigration beware of me!

No comments: