Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nepalese Food In Leidsplien, Amsterdam



A day back we left home late in the evening only to have dinner. Its getting a little tiring to go sight seeing everyday, really, even though the weather is nice and one does not get as tired as in India. But still, maybe its the mind that tires out. My brother took me to Leidseplien. I thought just Dam Square and Amsterdam Central were buzzy. How many places in one city can be buzzy??!! Leidseplien was terribly terribly buzzy. Young buzzy. There were hardly any older folks around. The lanes were packed with discotheques and cafes. There was music streaming out of everywhere. At the main square (plien) there was a musician who played music for almost 3-4 hours... can't say he was the best I've heard but he was fun, and added music to the atmosphere. Then there was this guy who played the electric guitar for a long time with a lot of background music on his sound system. There was also a comedian performing for a while, but I found his humour pretty crass, I was wondering how so many people were laughing to his jokes!

So, the food options were pretty simple. Leidseplien is famous for its steaks and almost all the cafes there served really good ones. It was a little nauseating, I have to admit, to see people grappling with huge pieces of meat on their plates and tweasing the flesh out with their teeth. I am fond of steaks, I knew it was gonna be beaf that I would mostly get here and beaf steaks that were popular. I am sure they would have laughed had I even suggested a chicken steak to them! That truely happens only in India!

We passed by this quiet Nepalese restaurant and were amused by the fact that they served "Dal Bhaat and Tarkari", thats the kinda language I often hear from my Grandmom who is from Bihar! Nepal and Bihar anyway border each other so there! We decided it was a little silly to have dal and rice for twelve euros so went off searching for another place. Then ... suddenly, the urge to eat "dal bhaat tarkari" happened. I have been eating all kinds of trash food this past ten days or so. Fried chips, yucky Mc Donald burgers... all that just got to me and I knew my food for the evening would be this Nepalese fare!

Its a little difficult to aptly describe what that dal bhaat tarkari really tasted like. I am serious. Coz, if I compare it to food back home, it was quite simply, not comparable. It was quite ordinary. But both me and my brother really relished every morsel and even asked for two extra rotis for two euros each!! We came to the conclusion that the only kinda food it can be compared to is "hostel food". Difficult to describe that again! You know, one hates the hostel food. There is monotony in taste and menu. But after a long day of college and roaming around, there really is nothing like hostel food. I still remember the taste of the paneer and aloo ki sabji that was a delicacy then, it was watery and we had to count the paneer pieces for each one of us. Sometimes we even traded the paneer for other things!

I hope I have managed to get across the taste of the food we ate. I wish I had taken a picture of the food itself. It was interesting and I know my brother would take his friends back there again!I have to tell my nani next time I meet her that I had Dal Bhaat Tarkari in Amsterdam! And actually loved it!

No comments: